Hospice of Southern Illinois’ volunteers work side-by-side with the professional staff to provide patient and family support. Our volunteer programs are as varied as the needs of the patients and families. As a friend who pledges to be with them through the uncertainties of the weeks ahead, hospice volunteers offer patients and families a listening ear, a hand to hold, and the presence of a caring heart. Additionally, our veteran hospice volunteers offer specific veteran-to-veteran support. Volunteers can provide this support at a nursing home, assisted living community, hospital or personal residence and receive specialized training before helping patients and families. Also, volunteers assist administrative staff at health fairs, in parades, and with community education.
Volunteer program opportunities are as varied as our volunteers’ time, skills and interests.
- Just be there
- Listen, read, talk, sing or write
- Offer support or hold a hand
- Make gifts for patients
- Bake, photograph, or garden
- File, record or enter data (Learn About Our Locations)
- Host an informational booth
- Make phone calls
- Walk and advocate in a parade
- Plan an event or assist with a fundraiser (Check Out Upcoming Events)
- Veteran-to-Veteran Fellowship (Learn More About The We Honor Veterans Program)
- Again, just be there
With so many opportunities for junior volunteers (ages 16-17) and adult volunteers (ages 18+), there is sure to be one that will allow you to use your talents to make a difference in the lives of others – and your own too. Donate your time and become a hospice volunteer. We encourage you to call to register for our upcoming volunteer training sessions. Consider joining the over 400 active volunteers across our 27 county service area. We are certain that you will agree with our current volunteers: they receive much more than they give.
Upcoming Volunteer Training Schedule
- Friday, July 13th from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at Hospice of Southern Illinois, 204 Halfway Road, Marion
- Thursday, September 20th– 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. – TBA Edwardsville
- Friday, November 2nd – 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. – TBA Sparta