The POWER of Pet Therapy
Hospice of Southern Illinois is excited to announce a pet therapy program in collaboration with Canine Helpers Allow More Possibilities (CHAMP Assistance Dogs) beginning October 1, 2018. We know what an impact Pet Therapy can make! We look forward to providing this service and improving the quality of life for anyone touched by a terminal illness. Stay tuned for stories of success from our patients, their families, volunteers and the pet handlers later this year. Stay tuned! Details to follow!
Benefits of Pet Therapy
- Improves the quality of life of patients
- Improves the quality of life of families
- Provides comfort and joy
- Helps build social connections
- Aids in the improvement of mental and emotional wellness
- Relieves caregiver stress
- Enhances well-being
- Can increase interaction and communication
- Can decrease anxiety or other physical symptoms
Regardless of health or age, pet therapy has the power to positively impact people both physically and emotionally. Pet therapy programs support the mission of Hospice of Southern Illinois: to enhance the quality of life for individuals and their loved ones touched by a terminal illness. We are your local, not-for-profit hospice program serving 27 counties in southern Illinois since 1981. For more information about Hospice of Southern Illinois or Pet Therapy, visit our website, www.hospice.org, or call, 618-235-1703.