Having a conversation about end-of-life wishes with a loved one is never easy, no matter what your situation. Everyone, regardless of their age or health status, should discuss their wishes with family members and then record those wishes in writing with an advance directive. Hospice of Southern Illinois can help by providing valuable information about advance directive planning.
To find information and sample advance directive forms click on one of the links below. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-233-1708.
Download our Caregivers Conversation Guide
Questions to discuss with your loved one:
- Are you looking for comfort care rather than curative treatments?
- What do you understand your prognosis to be?
- What concerns do you have about what lies ahead?
- How do you want to spend your time as medical treatments become limited?
- Who will make decisions for you when you cannot?
- Do you want aggressive treatments such as intubation and mechanical ventilation?
- Do you want tube or intravenous feeding if you can’t eat on your own?
- Do you want to be resuscitated if your heart stops?
*Every person has goals of care and a diagnosis that is unique. If you or your loved one thinks you may need hospice services or if you or your loved one has questions about the discussion topics above, please contact someone from the Hospice of Southern Illinois team, 1-800-233-1708.
Hospice of Southern Illinois’ Phone App
Hospice of Southern Illinois’ Phone App has many functions and resources to answer questions and offer convenience for those who are in need of our services and are tech-savvy. Some of the app features include the ability to make a referral 24 hours a day/7 days a week and receive a response within minutes. The app also provides easy access to frequently-asked-questions about general hospice care. You can also do many other things such as make a donation or make a memorial slide show. Physicians and healthcare professionals can also utilize this app as well as patients’ families. Download the Hospice of Southern Illinois’ phone app today by scanning the QR Code with your phone or searching “Hospice of Southern Illinois” in your app store.