In recognition of National Volunteer Week, April 10-16, 2016, National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO), Hospice of Southern Illinois, and hospices across the nation are honoring the hospice and palliative care volunteers who bring compassion, support and dignity to those facing a serious, life-limiting illness. The NHPCO reports that in the U.S., an estimated 430,000 hospice volunteers provide more than 19 million hours of service to hospice programs every year. Hospice of Southern Illinois’ volunteers have shared over 12,784 hours of service to our community.
This particular year, 2016, makes this April extra special for our volunteers. We get to thank volunteers who helped the grassroots effort of Hospice of Southern Illinois back in 1981, 35 years ago. These volunteers started our hospice from a need in the community and have continued supporting our mission, to enhance the quality of life for individuals and their loved ones touched by a terminal illness, all these years to help us grow to the not-for-profit we are today. Additionally, we extend our gratitude to every volunteer who make their mark on Hospice of Southern Illinois. We are so honored to have so many dedicated people who represent us everyday. Thank you to our volunteers for being a part of us and educating the people about the importance of hospice care.
Volunteers provide a variety of support including the following (but not limited to):
- Vigilant volunteers assure no one dies alone.
- Veteran-to-Veteran volunteers support veterans through their end-of-life journey.
- Volunteers offer clinical and clerical assistance.
- Volunteers use their own talents to give back. One of many is crafting.
Join our dedicated group of over 300 volunteers who donate their time and talents to assist patients and families, as well as clinical and clerical employees. Attend the next volunteer training! Learn more about volunteering with us on our volunteer page.
- Friday, April 22, 2016 – East Main Office: Hospice of Southern Illinois – 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday, April 23, 2016 – East Main Office: Hospice of Southern Illinois – 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Friday, July 8, 2016 – Marion Office: Hospice of Southern Illinois – 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.